Voluntary work is work for a not-for-profit organisation, or work for someone who is not a family member, where only reasonable expenses are paid. Volunteering helps others and can improve our own situation.
There are thousands of things you can do in Scotland, such as:
- helping out at playgroups
- visiting elderly people or hospital patients
- working in hospital radio
- clearing canals or planting trees
- helping at animal sanctuaries
- working in a charity shop
- get the satisfaction of feeling useful
- brush up on your skills and learn new ones
- get out and meet new people
Volunteering won't affect your Job Seeker's Allowance or Incapacity Benefit (go to Volunteering Scotland for more information).
Call Volunteer Development Scotland to find your local volunteer centre - 01786 479593 - or look up vacancies at www.volunteerscotland.org.uk.